Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Another Year In The Books

Another year is almost in the books! It's crazy to think that in the short time we have with these kids we become family. For the first half of this school year my class was the one people cringed at as they walked by. This right here was my life.
 

I wouldn't trade that experience. I learned more about myself as a teacher and what it means to love on kids than I ever could have imagined. Tomorrow I say goodbye to a group of students that I have laughed, cried, and loved. This group is special because I didn't just teach them, but they taught me. 

I have only taught three years so far and in this short time over half of the people I know who went to college to teach have quit. I think about this last year and I realize I can understand how someone can walk away. Even with the passion and the calling to be in this field; it can be so completely thankless from everyone except the big eyes and the little hands yearning for an education. There are so many outside factors that make this job a difficult one, but looking at these little minds we get to help shape?! That's why I love this job. I get to make up lessons that engage their minds. I get to use imagination, games, and play to teach curriculum. I did not become a teacher to read from a script, stand in front of the room, and give directions. I became a teacher to create, innovate, teach, and let the students become the teachers. It's easy to lose sight of that and so many do. So many become burned out and walk away from something that requires passion and love for what we do every day. As I say goodbye to another set of little people, I think how lucky I am to have shared my struggles and success with them this year. When hard years come, and they will, I hope other teachers will be able to see it through and not lose their drive and passion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment